Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Oven Tacos

I've mentioned this recipe before here...we eat it so much I figure it deserves it's own post!

This dinner makes an appearance on our table 2-3 times a month. Easy. Healthy. Yummy. Fast. Score.


I love that it only takes a few ingredients and minimal prep time.

Let's get started, shall we?

First, brown your meat. I normally use ground turkey since it's cheaper but ground beef is delicious too!


Once it's fully cooked, drain the extra grease and add back to the pan. ADD in a can of refried beans...


Don't worry - it's not supposed to look pretty. At all. It will taste awesome...trust me. 

Spice it up however you please - I like to use CUMIN, CHILI POWDER, GARLIC POWDER and ONION POWDER. I never really measure....just some of this and that....more cumin and chili powder and less garlic and onion powder....trust your nose. 

Once everything is all mixed and smelling good turn off the heat. 

Get out your hard shell tacos....and line in a 9x13 pan. I like to line mine with foil so clean-up is super easy. 


I have 12 in my pan - which works perfectly since the pack I buy has 12 in it! 

My secret to this recipe is this next step....totally not in the original....you HAVE to do it though....

Sprinkle cheese in the bottoms of the shells! My logic is that the cheese melts and creates a 'barrier' of sorts to keep the moist meat/beans away from the shell and avoids a soggy bottom. Who wants a soggy bottom? Not I. 


Then scoop in your meat/bean mix. I can fill all my shells and have maybe a tablespoon or so leftover....so pretty much all my meat/beans are used up! 


Then sprinkle MORE cheese on top! Mmmmm....


Pop in a 350* oven for about 10 min or until cheese is melted. All you're doing is warming the shell and melting the cheese...so you really can't go wrong. Unless you leave it in there for an hour. That'd be wrong...and burned. 

Here's what comes out! Yum! 


Carefully take out your tacos and top to your liking. (Use common sense when taking them out - you have melted cheese as 'glue' to your pan so gracefully pull them up) 

This time we had sour cream and cilantro for toppings. Other times we'd had shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole or green onions as options. These are also delicious plain! That's the way my oldest son enjoys them. 


Oven Tacos
Inspired by MommyImHungry.blogspot.com

Ingredients:

1 lb ground meat (turkey or beef) 
1 can refried beans 
Cumin
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Shredded Cheese
Hard Taco Shells
Toppings of choice! 

DO IT: 

1. Brown and drain your meat. 
2. Add in can of refried beans and seasonings.
3. Stir till combined and turn off heat. 
4. Line up shells in 9x13 pan.
5. Sprinkle cheese in bottom of shells. 
6. Distribute meat/bean mix in all shells.
7. Top with more cheese.
8. Bake in 350* for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. 
9. Carefully remove tacos and top as desired! ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment