Saturday, February 2, 2013

Food in Review (week 2)

Ready to see what I fed my crew this past week? Read on...

SUNDAY: Pasta/Sauce with Cheesy Bread

Good ole standby for a weekend night when I really don't want to cook - I bumped it up a notch this time and added some ground turkey in the sauce (bam!) and threw some cheesy bread in the oven. Nothing spectacular here. 

Monday: Baked Taquitos with Brown Rice/Corn

I LOVE the filling of this - I use it all the time (translation: weekly if not more) and it is soooo easy. I originally got the idea from some recipe but have since changed the ingredients and amounts a bunch so I'll give you my version...

Filling: (don't blink...it's short!) 
1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, etc.. I often use turkey since it's so cheap!) 
1 can refried beans
1-2 Tb salsa (choose your level of spice) 
Cumin 
Chili Powder
**Brown meat in skillet. Drain excess grease. Add refried beans. Add salsa. Add seasoning (eyeball how much you want...no right or wrong here!). STIR and heat. It will look unappealing...keep stirring and smell how yummy it will be. 

I use this filling in my taquitos, oven tacos, chimichangas and quesadillas! 

To assemble my taquitos I put 1-2 Tb of filling in a small (fajita size) tortilla, sprinkle a little cheese on top (can be excluded if you're not a cheese fan) and roll 'em up! I line them in my pan, spray with oil and sprinkle with salt (I used garlic salt this time...daring I know!). 

BAKE: 350* till nice and crispy and golden. 


Serve with sour cream, lettuce, salsa and whatever your little heart desires! YUM. 

TUESDAY: Tortellini Soup 

I always try to have at least one (if not more) meatless meal to help the budget -- this soup fit the bill and was a great way to warm up during this *ahem* cold spell we're having. And by 'cold' I mean, "frigid, burn your nostrils, don't want to step outside ever" 

Here's the base recipe I used for this soup - I added in carrot, celery and onions to beef it up a bit. My kids loved the tortellini and white beans - I loved that it was warm. Have we established it's cold yet? 

p.s. see E's sweet bowl? It has a built in straw! I want one. 

WEDNESDAY: Salsa Chicken (Crock Pot) with Rice

Here's another one of my go-to meals...super easy+crock pot+kid approved=WINNER. 

I love that I can get it started in the morning and all I have to do for dinner is make rice! I use my crock pot a lot. It's one of my best friends. You should make friends with yours. They ROCK. 

Here's the easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy (E's favorite saying) RECIPE for it. I've done it with whole chicken breasts and then shred it at the end OR cube up my chicken before putting it in...either way is a win-win. Throw it over some rice and you're golden. Add some black beans and you're an over-achiever! Way to go. 

Photo from recipe website. 

THURSDAY: Crock Pot Banana Bread Quinoa served with Bacon and Eggs

So, I just told you how much I love my crock pot. You'll see me use it a lot. No joke. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought it looked good...I haven't done sweet quinoa yet but there's a first time for everything! 
Photo from recipe website. 

Verdict: meh. I don't know if it was the texture or what but I wasn't a fan. The FLAVOR was good (like banana bread - go figure!) but the texture was a little too something for my liking....like caviar maybe? Joe liked it. Isaac LOVED it. The big boys tried a bite each and graciously declined. Good thing I made scrambled eggs and bacon as a side. Can't go wrong with bacon. Live and Learn. 

FRIDAY: Teriyaki Chicken (crock pot) with Rice 

I like to have easy dinners for Friday (who am I kidding...I like easy dinners most nights!) and my best bud Crock Pot helped me out yet again. I've made this one a bunch of times - typical dump this and that in the crock pot and walk away for the day returning for a yummy meal. 

Here's the link to the sauce for this easy weeknight meal. I added in some carrots and onions to cook with the chicken to complete the meal. All I had to do was whip up some rice at dinner time! 

Photo from recipe website. 
SATURDAY: nothing! 

I didn't have to cook today! Our anniversary is on Monday (SEVEN years - woot!) so Joe and I got to enjoy a date day today sans kids. The date spanned over lunch and dinner letting me off the hook for making any food today. As part of our date, Joe and I went grocery shopping (romantic I know...) so I'm all ready for next week. 

Let me know if you have any questions about any of these recipes - I'd be happy to answer them! 

Happy cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment