Thursday, March 17, 2011

School Today...

This morning when it was school-work time Ethan informed me that HE was going to be the teacher today and he was going to teach ME. Sounds like fun - so we went with it!

We're going through that reading book I talked about and Ethan was going to 'teach' me my lesson this morning. We both work out of the same book so he's very familiar as to what happens first, second and so on....it was precious! I wish I thought ahead to set up the video recorder or something because he was so stinkin cute:)

E: now mommy, do you know what this sound is?
Me: teacher, I forgot. Can you teach me again?
E: of course. I am the teacher. This sound is "ssssss"
M: thanks.

and on and on. When it came time to sound out words he 'taught' it to me just like I taught him!

E: now mommy, first you say it slow. Then you say it fast. Watch me....ssssss-aaaaa-mmmm. Now say it fast...SAM! Mommy, mommy I know a Sam!!!
*when he refers to saying something fast he says it fast and LOUD! oh my.

We made it through our lesson (and I wonder if he learned even MORE because he 'taught' me) and we got ready to go outside.

Now that we're out of the arctic blast known as winter I'm ALL about being outside. Anything over 32* we're out there. We went out this morning (low 40's) and the boys drew with chalk and stomped on snow for a while. Then we headed out for our 'adventure hike'! Judah chilled in the stroller and Ethan walked. I let Ethan decide which way to turn when we came to an intersection and we observed as we walked.

We talked about everything we heard and saw. We heard cars and airplanes and LOTS of birds! We would stop everytime we'd see a bird in a tree or in the air (lots of stopping) and almost every one Ethan would exclaim "It's a Harpy-Eagle!" (none of which were; he learned about Harpy-Eagles on Diego)

Ethan would also stop at every puddle (lots of those too) and tell me what it looked like. Wow, that kid has an imagination.

We found every drain and talked about how the snow was melting and flowing into the drain; then going into a lake. Ethan was happy that the fish got more water to swim in!

Highlight of the walk was spotting a beautiful red bird in a tree; we stopped and admired it for a while:)

Then is was lunch time, then rest time. Oh how I love rest time:) After rest time we went outside again (high 40's at that point) and the boys drew with chalk, ate a snack and we explored the yard together. The snow had melted a lot so we jumped from grassy patch to grassy patch.

Inside for dinner prep, ate dinner, read some books then ready for bed. Ahh what a day:) I love that we can start going outside more and more! I am soooo looking forward to summer where we can literally stay outside ALL day!

There's a little look into our Thursday school day: a reading lesson, little adventure hike with some science and nature, art in the driveway and of course story time! Oh the joy of schooling at home:)

And just because it's cute..here's a pic of my charming boys eating lunch the other day: I love Ethan's 'what's up?' pose! Totally not on purpose; I think he was showing me his food:) I love these guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment