Monday, March 11, 2013

Food in Review (week 7)

This past week was semi-boring on the food front....and I'm cool with that. Busy weeks call for fool-proof food and that's what this week *almost* was. I say almost because I tried something new - that looked super easy and fun - and it was a total FLOP. Ah well. You win some...and you lose some.

SUNDAY: Chicken Fried Rice 

I used leftover chicken and leftover rice for this weekend meal. I get a rush out of trying to use EvErYtHiNg in my fridge/freezer/pantry to get my money's worth. This meal was just that! Using leftover (cooked) chicken and leftover rice as my base this meal was easy to throw together in minimal time.

Ingredients: 
*Leftover Rice
*Leftover Chicken (I shredded mine with forks)
*Frozen Peas
*Soy Sauce
*Ginger
*Eggs

Do it:
*Fry your chicken in some oil (I used vegetable this time)
*Add your rice in
*Pour soy sauce and sprinkle a little ginger (I never measure here...go by the look and smell)
*Add a few handfuls of peas and keep on frying....
*Move everything over to the side (or remove from the pan if your pan is small) and scramble your eggs (I used 3 this time)
*Mix all together gently and EAT!

MONDAY: Pineapple Ham, Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Carrots

Sounds involved but it wasn't at all.

I put my ham in my trustworthy Crock Pot in the early afternoon with a can of crushed pineapple and a handful of brown sugar on top. It hung out in there for about 3-4 hrs on LOW (you don't want your ham to fall apart...eww).

During nap/rest time I peeled and chopped everything (while balancing my phone on my shoulder and socializing! Take that multi-tasking!) I peeled/sliced my carrots and peeled/chopped my potatoes.

I learned this sweet trick (via Pinterest of course!) to put your chopped potatoes in a pot with water (like you're going to boil them) in the FRIDGE until you're ready to actually make them. This way the potatoes don't get all brown and gross...but they're all chopped and ready to roll when you are!

About 45 min before dinner I started my tators and threw my carrots in the oven. Remember last week how I said we discovered roasting them? Yep. I'm obsessed. They're soooo good. I like to roast them with a sprinkle of thyme....Mmmmm.

After dinner I packed up our leftovers and smiled knowing they'll be put to good use later (I planned on leftovers and had them incorporated in some of the meals later in the week).

TUESDAY: **FAIL** Fried Mashed Potato Balls with Salad

I was so excited to try this recipe!  I specifically planned mashed potatoes for Monday so I could make these little fried goodies with the leftovers....
Picture from recipe website - aren't they cute?

....and they didn't work at all:(

Who knows. Maybe my mashed potatoes were too creamy? Maybe my oil too hot? Ugh. All I know is that I put a batch of them in my oil and they fell apart. Completely. I fished out the remnants and tried again after tweaking the temp....same result.

Cue calling hubby..."Ummmm dinner kinda flopped....can you pick something up? I have a salad"

So he did. And saved dinner. Thanks Man.

WEDNESDAY: Double Stuffed Potatoes and Ham

Double stuffed potatoes - there's a story behind these....

....years ago I met a guy. I liked this guy. I couldn't cook very well. Said guy was coming over for dinner and I wanted to make something to wow him (remember...I liked him) so I made DOUBLE STUFFED POTATOES. And it worked:) He liked the potatoes. And me. Proof of that is sparkling on my ring finger! Now, when I make these I always remember the first meal I made him *sigh*....

The wonderful thing about these -- they are SUPER easy and look SUPER fancy.

Double Stuffed Potatoes
*Potatoes
*Sour Cream
*Milk
*Green Onions - chopped
*Cheese - shredded

-Bake your potatoes (either in the oven or crock pot)
-Slice in half (like boats) and scoop out insides - set scooped insides in a bowl
-mash/mix potato insides with some sour cream, little milk, shred cheese and green onions (like making mashed potatoes)
-Line up your empty 'boats' on a baking sheet and fill 'em up full with your loaded mashed potatoes
-Top with more cheese
-BAKE 350* 20-30 min till top is beautiful and crispy

**Face palm** I never took a pic. Shame. When Joe loaded his plate he looked and me, winked and reminded me of the time I made these for him years ago...*sigh*...

I served these with our leftover ham from Monday. Gotta put my leftovers to good work!

THURSDAY: Egg Bake

Not sure what normal peeps call this - but I dub it an 'egg bake'. Easy. Fast. Cheap. Love.

Egg Bake: 
*Hash-browns (any cut - I used shredded this time but it's equally as delish with cubed)
*Meat (I used cubed ham this time - sausage works well too!)
*EGGS (8-10)
*Cheese
*Milk
*Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt/Pepper, Oregano

Assemble ("Avengers -- Assemble!!" Yep. I live with 4 boys.) 
*Put your potatoes in a big bowl
*In a medium bowl whisk your eggs with a splash of milk and your seasoning (like making scrambled eggs)
*Mix Eggs in with potatoes and add in meat. Stir well.
*Pour into 9x13 SPRAYED pan (I've also used a pie pan...looks fancy)
*Top with a handful of cheese
*BAKE 350* COVERED 30-40 min then 10 min UNcovered till nice and brown on top. (and not jiggly on the inside...no one likes jiggly eggs).

FRIDAY: Chili 

This was a busy day. Calls for an easy - no fuss meal.

Cue crock pot chili! 

I've mentioned before my non-recipe chili method. I dump a little of this and that and walk away. Haven't made a bad batch yet! This time I made a ground turkey chili.

Crock Pot Chili
*Meat (ground beef, ground turkey, shredded chicken, etc...)
*Diced Tomatoes
*Tomato Paste
*Onions
*Garlic
*Chili Powder, Cumin, Oregano
*Black Beans (or any kind you like)
*Corn

*Prepare your choice of meat.
*Mix remaining ingredients in your crock and stir in meat. Set for HIGH 2-4 hrs or LOW 6 hrs.
*Walk away.
*Serve with shredded cheese and chopped green onions on top!

Sooooo.....sorry about the basically picture-less post. Remember how I said it was a busy week? Well, I guess busy translates to lack of pictures. Good to know.

This week should be a little more sane. Hopefully resulting in a more interesting picture-full post next time! Ha.

Over and Out. Happy Cooking. 








No comments:

Post a Comment