Sunday, March 17, 2013

Food in Review (week 8)

Time to share my menu plan from last week.....aka time to sit at the computer and not care that my house is a living tornado zone. Meh - I can clean later. 

I tried a few *new* recipes this week and they were KEEPERS! Woot - woot. I love it when that happens! 

SUNDAY: Blueberry Pancake Bites with Sausage

I found this variation of the classic pancake on Pinterest and gave it a whirl....look how cute they look:

Image from Recipe website

I made ours with blueberries and served them with some sausage links. The kids thought they were fun and I enjoyed the 'fluffiness' of them and that I didn't have to stand and FLIP pancakes for ever. 

MONDAY: Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Rice and Peas

Wow. Seriously. This one is a KEEPER. Soooo good. Delish. 

Ok - enough rambling...

I've had this pinned on my Pinterest board for a loonnng time but have never tried it because it requires a lot of prep and time. I wish I would've tried it sooner - it was that good. I can't wait to make it again. It looked, smelled and tasted like takeout! Maybe even better? You decide. 

Here's the LINK for the recipe. I used chicken THIGHS instead of breasts and absolutely loved it with them! 

Look at how WONDERFUL that plate of food looks! It tastes even better...have I convinced you to try it yet? 


TUESDAY: White Chicken Chili/Soup over Rice

Have you noticed I do a lot of variations of this? Cuz I do....a lot. Good thing we like it. It's an easy crock pot meal that I can modify to what I have or want to use.

Here's what hung out in my Crock Pot this time:

Chicken Thigh (the remaining thighs that I didn't use for Monday) 
Black Beans
Corn
Can of Green Chilis
Chicken Broth

To serve I put a scoop of rice in a bowl and poured the yummy soup/chili mix over it....Mmmmm. Can't go wrong with this one!

WEDNESDAY: Turkey Burgers/Fries/Broccoli 

I love ground turkey. It's cheap. It's versatile. It's healthy.

I made THESE burgers and served them on those thin buns (I don't know what they're actually called...)

Some frozen fries and steamed broccoli helped me round out this meal. I made 3 'mini' burgers for my mini men...they thought those were pretty sweet. I agree.

Gotta love a good, simple meal. Picture-less but still delicious. I was too busy eating it.

THURSDAY: Sweet and Sticky Baked Chicken Drummies 

This was another new one. I was a little hesitant since I don't cook with bone-in meat much....but I gave it a whirl anyways.

I let my drummies hang out in the marinade for a solid 24 hours and I'm glad I did! YUM.

HERE'S the recipe. They taste as good as they look. 

Look......

Image from Recipe website 

My kids think it's a riot to eat meat off the bone - they like to discuss where on the animal it was...weird? perhaps. 

I served this with some rice and peas and a SMILE. I try to serve all my meals with a smile....it's a nice side right? right.  

This one is another new KEEPER. When I see drummies go on sale I know what I'll be doing with 'em!! Mmmmmm. 

FRIDAY: Black Bean Quesadillas 

I prepped my quesadillas in the afternoon and stacked them with buttered outsides to hang out in the fridge till it was eating time. It was a cool trick - once it was time for dinner I just fired up my griddle and didn't have to waste time prepping them! 

Does anyone else do quesadillas on your griddle? You know - the thing you use for pancake flippin'? Well - it's a SLICK way to make a bunch of quesadillas at once! 

For my filling I put some black beans in a bowl (I drained them 95% and kept just a tad of liquid) and smashed them with a fork. 

Into that I added:
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Oregano

Mix 'er up and there's your filling! I put a layer of that then a layer of shredded cheese - smooshed between two corn tortillas. Yum. 

There ya have it. Another week in review. Lots of happy tummy's. I went grocery shopping today and have my game plan set for the week. Game on food. I'll win. 

Happy Cooking. 






No comments:

Post a Comment