Saturday, January 23, 2010

Black Bean and Corn Salad

I first made this recipe for a Christmas party and got wonderful reviews! Everyone that has tasted it so far has fallen in love with it - as have I! I have eaten it plain; with tortilla chips; on top of chicken; in a quesadilla; and am currently thinking of more ways to enjoy it! It is so simple to make yet jam packed with flavors and textures! hmmm. And healthy to top it off!

Black Bean and Corn Salad
*Rachael Ray; recipe from foodnetwork.com; photo from Food Network
-1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained
-2 cups frozen corn kernels
-1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
-1/2 red onion, chopped
-1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
-1 lime, juiced
-2 Tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
-salt and pepper
-2 tsp hot sauce (optional) - I haven't added this to mine yet.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand for at least 15 minutes for corn to fully defrost and flavors to combine, then toss and serve. The corn will also place a quick chill on this easy side-salad as it defrosts -- no need to refrigerate!

I just brought this to a baby-shower this afternoon and everyone loved it! Not all of it got eaten so I was able to bring some leftovers home...yeah for us! I'm off to enjoy some now....

1 comment:

  1. I bet it could taste pretty good if you folded it into a meatloaf of sorts. A nice little salsa surprise in the center! Either that, mix with some nice spiced Italian Sausage and whip up some stuffed peppers!

    ReplyDelete