Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nutella Swirl Pound Cake


I am drooling thinking about the delicious cake I made about a week ago....

Meet: Nutella Swirl Pound Cake. Hmmmm

I saw this recipe in the "Real Food" magazine they give out free from Byerly's (thanks Theresa for your copy!) and it looked delicious! In the original recipe they have you put it in a 9x5 loaf pan but I decided to try it in a Bundt pan and it turned out beautifully:) I think it created a much more appealing presentation; and it still tasted wonderful!

Nutella Swirl Pound Cake
(from 'Real Food', winter 2009)

4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 jar (13 oz, about 1 cup) Nutella, warmed in a bowl of hot tap water

*preheat oven to 325 degrees. Dust and grease 9x5 loaf pan (I used my Bundt; I recommend that!). Fill a bowl with hot tap water and set in the whole unopened jar of Nutella.
*Combine eggs and vanilla in a bowl and lightly beat. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.
*Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream with a mixer on med-high until fluffy (about 3 min)
*With mixer on med-low, pour egg mixture into bowl
*Turn mixer to low speed, add flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, after last addition mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
*Scrape 1/3 mixture into prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.
*Spread 1/2 of Nutella over batter and smooth with a spatula.
*Spread another 1/3 of batter over the Nutella and smooth.
*Pour remaining Nutella over batter and smooth.
*Spread remaining batter on top and smooth.
*Run a butter knife through batter to create marbling (I like to use a chop-stick!) Do not overmix!
*BAKE cake until golden brown; about 1 hour and 15 min (or until a toothpick comes out clean)
*Cool cake in pan for 15 min then transfer out of pan to a rack to cool completely.
***I choose to finish mine with a dusting of powdered sugar***
This was my first bundt cake so I was a little nervous when it was so hard on the outside; but once cut into it you see the moist inside - I enjoyed the combo of crunchy crust and soft inside:)
ENJOY!!! I wish I took a picture of it cut so you could see the marbling...but after I cut it, it was gobbled up in a matter of minutes!

1 comment:

  1. mmm...this looks yummy! I love Nutella!
    This will be one of my next cakes for sure!

    ReplyDelete