Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Easy Oven Mac

Mmmmm Mac-n-Cheese. Classic comfort food. I've searched high and low for a recipe I like for homemade Mac and finally I combined all the basic concepts to make my own. I'll warn you: it's super SIMPLE. Cuz that's how I roll.

I personally don't like the box stuff -- too bright orange and saucy for me....plus who really knows what's in those powdered packets anyways?! 

Something magical happens when you put Mac-n-Cheese in the oven (ok..not magical but I still dig it) - it turns into a scoop-able dish that doesn't get all over your kids faces and isn't dripping with liquid-ey sauce. Magic? maybe not. Personal preference for eating and cleaning? Yep.

I'm rambling...here's the simple recipe. The wonderful thing about simple recipes is that YOU can personalize it however you please!


Oven Mac-n-Cheese

You Need: 
* Box of Elbow Macaroni (I try to use Whole Wheat so I don't feel so bad....)
* 4 Tbs Butter
* 4 Tbs Flour
* 2 Cups Chicken Broth
* 2 Cups Shredded Cheese (use what you like...this time I used part Cheddar and part Colby)
* Topping of choice (I'll list all the possibilities later)

DO IT: 

* Boil your noodles according to the box for Al Dente (they'll finish cooking in the oven) in a big pot and drain.

* Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan melt your 4 Tbs butter.

* Add in your 4 Tb of flour and stir-stir-stir! It should get to be peanut butter consistency in quick order.

* Pour in your 2 cups chicken broth and stir again...keep stirring to mix it thoroughly.

* Add in your 2 cups of cheese - keep stirring! Don't stop. I get all fancy and stir in a figure-8 for this. Don't get frustrated when all your cheese clumps...keep stirring! When you feel like it's a lost cause....keep stirring! I promise it'll come together....figure-8 that pot till you get a beautiful, creamy sauce. **Here you can add in whatever spices you please. Sometimes I do simple salt/pepper, other times I throw in some garlic powder, or whatever your little heart desires!**

* Put your cooked/drained noodles back in the big pot and pour your awesome sauce over 'em. Mix it up real well!

* SPRAY a 9x13 dish - pour your gorgeous pot of Mac in and spread it around.

* TOP with your desired toppings and either cover and store in the fridge/freezer till cooking time or pop in a 350* oven. I do 30 min from the fridge so if you're cooking it right from the hot pot I bet you could do 20 min. (Covered to start then uncovered to brown the yummy topping under the broiler for the last few minutes)

* Scoop out a big old serving and ENJOY!


TOPPING IDEAS: 

*Bacon/Cheese/French's Fried Onions (this is what I did tonight....Oh.My.Goodness.)
*Bread Crumbs
*Extra Cheese
*Crumbled Potato Chips
*Anything Salty!

If you enjoy the comfort food of Mac-n-Cheese you should give this homemade version a whirl! It's good. And simple. And it makes A LOT. Gotta love leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment