Saturday, April 6, 2013

Food in Review (week 10)

So here's what I fed my crew not last week but the week before....I'm a little late but life's been a little busy these days! As long as food gets to the table and my kids are clothed I call it a successful day - ha.

Hopefully you can find something new to try in your weekly menu!

MONDAY: Ravioli and Vegetable Soup 

I found a simple recipe on Pinterest (where else, right?) and decided to modify it a tad and give it a whirl...

Here's what I put in mine:

1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 tsp thyme (or to taste) 
2 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
10 oz cheese ravioli 
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
Parmesan cheese for topping

In a large pot, sauté your veggies in some oil till tender. 

Sprinkle some thyme over veggies. 

Pour in broth and water - bring to a boil. 

Add in ravioli and boil according to package directions. 

TWO minutes before ravioli would be complete add in your chopped spinach and let wilt during last few minutes of cook time. 

SERVE with a sprinkle of cheese over and a side of bread. 

I don't have a picture of the completed dish....it's a pretty simple soup - I'm sure you can imagine it!

TUESDAY: Turkey Burgers, Tator Tots, Broccoli and Fresh Pineapple

Mmmmm. We love these burgers over here. You probably could conclude that yourself if you've read many of my other menus.

HERE's the recipe for these delicious (and easy) burgers.

Click on ^ link to see the BEAUTIFUL burger that results...seriously good. 

I served them this time with some fresh pineapple (remember my cool contraption I got for those?) and some steamed broccoli. 

WEDNESDAY: Santa Fe Beans and Rice in Tortilla Wraps

This was a recent gem I found on Pinterest....we love it! Last time I served it with some tortilla chips to use as forks. This time we wrapped up the yummy rice and beans in a soft tortilla wrap. 

Soooo good. Meatless. Cheap. High Protein. Feeds a Crowd. Can't Lose. 

Remember that I use white rice (instead of brown) and I use GREEK YOGURT in place of sour cream. 

Try it. Here's the link 

Pic from Recipe Website

THURSDAY: Baked Garlic Chicken, Rice and Peas

I found this simple baked chicken recipe on....you guessed it....PINTEREST. 

It wasn't bad but it also wasn't blow-your-socks-off-wow-that's-tasty either. 

Here's the recipe I followed. 

 Photo from Recipe Website

I served this with some rice and a side of peas. There was something refreshingly SIMPLE about this meal - no fancy frills or unexpected flavor combos. So, if you're looking for an easy meal this might be for you! I'm not sure if I'll purposefully make it but I'll keep it in my mind for those nights where I really don't want to make what I planned (you know what I mean right? Those nights when you really don't want to stand for an hour and read detailed instructions....) 

FRIDAY: Chicken Pumpkin White Bean Chili

Oh Yum. 

I've made this with turkey (as the recipe calls for) but this time I threw caution to the wind and used shredded CHICKEN! Rebellious I know...

What resulted was spectacular! 

It was a creamy, thick, flavorful, chili. Beautiful color. NO tomatoes. No icky bottom for my baby. TMI? Yep. 

Here's the recipe. 
Photo from Recipe Website

Here's a recipe with what I did different: 

Chicken Pumpkin White Bean Chili
Adapted from SkinnyTaste.com

You Need: 
  • 1.5 lb cooked chicken (roughly shredded) 
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder, to taste
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 (15 oz cans) of white northern - rinsed and drained
  • 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 4.5 oz canned chopped green chiles
  • 2 cups chicken broth

DO IT:

In your handy crock pot MIX pumpkin, broth, and seasonings. 

ADD in beans, chiles, and chicken. STIR well. 

Set your slow cooker to LOW for 4-6 hours (you're just warming it up...everything's already cooked) 

TOP with sour cream, cheese, green onions. 

YUM. 

**There ya have it. My menu from 2 weeks ago - I'm optimistic that I'll have last week's menu up soon...we shall see! **

No comments:

Post a Comment