Saturday, March 20, 2010

Light and Garlicky Penne with Plum Tomatoes

I love meals that are easy, simple and delicious - I was given this recipe months ago and absolutely love it! I made it for Ethan's 2 year birthday last Spring because it has both noodles and tomatoes - Ethan's favorite foods at the time:) It's a great spring/summer meal because it is light and fresh!

Light and Garlicky Penne with Plum Tomatoes
The Six O'Clock Scramble; 2009

16 oz penne noodles
1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 red onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)

1 Tablespoon minced garlic, about 6 cloves
**I like to use my micro-plane grater to grate it right in the pan**
4 plum or Roma tomatoes, diced **I like to use cherry tomatoes cut in half**

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional) **I normally omit this**


Cook the penne until al dente.


Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute them for about 3 minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic and saute for about 2 more minutes.


Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook them until they soften but don't completely lose their shape, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Lower the heat to medium-low if they are sticking to the pan.


Drain the penne toss with the tomato mixture. Season it with salt and top it with cheese if desired.


I L.O.V.E this recipe because it is SO easy to make and SO yummy to eat! The red onion, garlic and olive oil create a simple sauce and the tomatoes add a burst of juice and color! Hmmmm I'm now drooling.....

No comments:

Post a Comment