Friday, November 12, 2010

Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes

I was given the "SOS! Six O'Clock Scramble" cookbook a few months ago and I love it! I made one of our favorites tonight and actually remembered to take some pictures to share. We love the Tortellini Soup for many reasons: #1 it's tasty. really tasty. #2 (for me) it's easy and quick! #3 my kids like it!

Without further rambling here it is (my modifications in RED)
Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes
SOS! Six O'Clock Scramble

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves) *I use my micro-plane to finely shred it*
1 box (32 oz) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth *I use chicken broth*
1 package (9 oz) whole wheat or regular cheese tortellini (sold refrigerated) *I use the dried, shelf variety -Spinach/Cheese, 8oz*
1 can (15 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their liquid *I use Ro'Tel diced tomatoes with chilis for an added kick - 10oz*
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano *I use Mexican Oregano - a little bolder*
3 cups fresh baby spinach *I use about 4 cups...I like my greens!*

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic for 1 minute, then stir in the broth. Bring it to a boil, then add the tortellini, tomatoes, pepper, basil and oregano.

Reduce the heat to keep it at a low boil for 7 minutes, then add the spinach. Simmer it for 2 more minutes, *if using dried tortellini - use cook time on package adding the spinach in for the last 2 minutes* Remove soup from heat and serve immediately.

*Scramble Flavor Booster: Stir in crushed red pepper flakes at the table for an extra spice!
I serve this to my kids minus the broth - I use a slotted spoon to get out the tortellini and spinach and they gobble it up (well, they gobble the tortellini...the cooked spinach takes some convincing; I don't care though - there's spinach hiding in the tortellini!)

One thing I always forget to do is to DOUBLE IT! We eat up the whole pot at one meal and always want leftovers....I won't forget next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment